Re: A Better Solution to the RHN Bandwidth Problem

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 09:02, Charles Wright wrote:
> Here's an idea I've been kicking around in my head for the last few days.
> It's pretty long, but hopefully it's worth the read.

> open-source software for paying customers) need an ISO distribution mechanism
> with the scalability of BitTorrent and the access controls of a system
> like RedHat Network.  Since BitTorrent and RedHat's releases are open-
> source software, we can modify BT and combine the result with RHN to
> get a system that sufficiently meets both of these needs.
<snip>

Intresting idea.  Its something i've been thinking about as well I think
something that should help reduce bandwidth costs and the bottleneck of
the current rhn system would be to deploy rhn servers in all the offices
not just in the states.  so rather than the load comming into one place
it will be spread out all over the world.  for example
rhn.redhat.com.au  is based in Brisbane so users from Australia would
login to there, which cuts out the need to get onto the international
backbone which as far as i understand it data transfer costs more using
international links (please correct me if i am wrong)  so now Red Hat
syncs there servers in all the different countries we login to the
closest server Red Hat pay less for international data transfers.  it
probably wont save the costs of data transfers with your solution but
provides mechanisms to ensure the integrity of data.  but mostly it
would spread the load over more systems and data networks providing
hopefully faster local access and quicker turn around times resulting in
more users able to get the priority service.

Dennis
--
Dennis Gilmore <dennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>