Re: Q3A and UT work out of the box on Shrike!

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 16:31, Shawn wrote:
> ATi doesn't seem to want to support the Open Source community either
> with the 9700/9800 on the 3d side of things. They've also refused to
> give/sell the information to 3rd party driver manufacturers such as XiG.
> If you want *real* 3d performance binary drivers are the only way to go
> :( DRI is years away from the quality that the closed drivers have
> reached both in terms of support and performance.
>
> --
> Shawn <drevil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> http://www.warpcore.org/

The installed base of R300(ATI RADEON 9700/9500 ) is 1% on the "Users
choice of GPU" at http://www.futuremark.com/community/halloffame/ The
R200(ATI RADEON 8500/9100) is ATI's #1 installed card at 11%. An open
source driver won't be successful without a good population of users
willing to develop and test it. I just can't blame ATI for holding on to
the specs for their latest generation of hardware when they have
released a closed source driver, and there really isn't a large enough
user base to support an R300 open source effort yet. Now that XFree 4.3
includes a usable R200 DRI driver, the number of users just skyrocketed.
More eyes = Less bugs.  IMO a high performance, quality driver will be
available sooner than later.

Perhaps when ATI releases their next gen R400, the DRI team will have
access to R300 specs. A couple months after that I will buy my R300. :)

Jim