Re: A Better Solution to the RHN Bandwidth Problem

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

<snip>

> Being a Red Hat Office does not automatically make it physically secure enough
> to house a RHN server.  The cost of setting up a datacenter physically secure
> enough to house a RHN server is staggering I would guess, and not something
> Red Hat would like to foot currently.
>
> --

Good point, Jesse.  I think the proper way to avoid using intercontinental
links with my idea would be to put a Tracker and an upload-only client
in each major market.  Then rhn.redhat.com, seeing that you come from an
IP address in Australia, directs you to the Australian Tracker, who directs
you to the main upload-only client there.  Then other folks from Aus and
NZ and the surrounding area download from the Australian upload-only
client and from you.  Ideally the 4GB of ISO's only has to traverse the
Pacific once--they could do that by FedEx'ing a DVD.

Like I said, balancing the load on the mirror sites is an interesting
problem in and of itself.  Optimizing it might even be the hardest part.
(But I think even a sub-optimal BitTorrent based solution would be better
than what we have now.)

-charles