Re: Mozilla Mail Icon

Iain Buchanan wrote:

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 16:40, John Lowell wrote:

Iain Buchanan wrote:

This should get you through it
1. If you right-click on the icon and select 'Properties' you will
notice a button labelled 'Select Custom Icon'. Click it and you will
notice that the default path is '/usr/share/pixmaps'. Close the two
dialog boxes, open a terminal and cd to this location.

2. Type 'gimp mozilla-mail-icon.gif' and assuming its installed gimp
will start and you will see the tiny icon in a window. Gimp takes
longer on the first run than successive runs.

3. Right-click on the tiny mail icon, and go to image -> Scale Image... Select an X ratio of 3, or a measurement. The Y ratio should scale
accordingly if the 'chain' is not broken. Click ok.

4. Right-click on the image again, and go to File -> Save As and save it
somewhere (as, say mozilla-mail-icon-big.png) Simply changing the
extention to .png should be enough to make a png. If you don't have
write access to /usr/share/pixmaps, save it to your home dir.

5. Quit the gimp, and go back to the 'Select Custom Icon' (see 1.) Browse to where you saved the file and select the new icon. Now it
should behave as you first expected.

That did it; a Mozilla Mail icon properly sized! Thanks Iain.

Graphics are simply not my strong suit. While I knew how to find and select icons, until now, the possibility of resizing them was never something I'd even considered doing. Back in the days of Windows 3.1, I fouled something up atrociously with Paint and, once burned, the child avoids the flame. I have the k3b CD burning program on my desktop and the icon for it is overly large. I think I'll try my hand at resizing that one as well.
Thanks for the introduction to gimp!

John Lowell