Re: Tell GCC to optimize for a platform or src.rpm compiles.

Lucas Albers wrote:
How do you optimize it for a particular platform?
Lets say I want to recompile my kernel from a src rpm, using the gcc 3.2
compiler.
How do I tell gcc 3.2 to optimize for my p4 or athlon or whatever system?
You'll need to install the SRPM, then edit the spec file (and possibly even the Makefiles?) and make the changes there. rpmbuild --target doesn't really accomplish as much as I'm guessing you want to do in this category and most RPMs are compiled with -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 by default, except the kernel and glibc.

There was a good discussion about this topic right around the time psyche was released, or just before. Search the mailing list archives for messages from Thomas Dodd and Mike Harris, and I believe they were talking about XFree86 optimizations at the time. IIRC, Thomas actually did some experimentation in this area

Tom