Re: > Re: Reasonable KDE menu structure? (Havoc Pennington)

HP> I know it's broken; I'm just saying it's not because of the
HP> /usr/share/applications thing. It's caused by namespacing the
HP> .desktop files, "kde-foo.desktop" instead of "foo.desktop"

Hmmm, my users' kickerrc files all reference absolute paths.  I'll
test to see that it will work without them.  (I have to support
releases back to Red Hat 7.1 here.)

The namespace problem is easy enough to fix with a bunch of symlinks.
I could add symlinks to existing machines, then alter everybody's
kickerrc file, and then upgrade machines at my leisure without
breaking things.  Users could still move freely between machines
without seeing a bunch of gears on their panels.

HP> I can understand. We're trying to make progress here with limited
HP> resources; and not everyone has the same needs/priorities.

That I can handle.  I'm certainly happy to share my experiences and
any tools here.

 - J<