Re: Recommended Configuration for PCMCIA Wireless Cards?

Keith Winston wrote:

>On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 14:17, Rob Thorne wrote:
>

>>No idea, since I don't have any non-Orinoco PCMCIA cards handy.  But I'd
>>actually be a little surprised if anything else worked, since there is
>>very little in the scripts that would treat it different than anything
>>other card (and Orinoco works fine with WEP on 8.0, just not via the
>>Redhat scripts).
>>

>Works fine for me with the Red Hat scripts.

I figured out the problem.  It's a bad assumption in one of the scripts.
  In the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions,  there's
a function:

    is_wireless_device ()
    {
        [ -x /sbin/iwconfig ] || return 1
        LC_ALL=C iwconfig $1 2>&1 | grep -q "no wireless extensions" ||
    return 0
        return 1
    }

There are two things wrong with this:

1) RH 8.0 doesn't install wireless tools on an update install.  Neither
here nor there, although arguably 'neat' should either check for this,
or have wireless-tools as a dependency in its RPM.

2) The location of iwconfig is *hardwired*.  Not so good.

My system had a version of iwconfig in /usr/local/bin.  Once I made a
symlink to /usr/local/bin/iwconfig at /sbin/iwconfig, the wireless card
comes up automagically, as it should.

It's not secure to just assume that iwconfig is in the path, so I'm not
sure what the best fix would be (perhaps to also check for iwconfig at
/usr/local/bin/iwconfig as well).  But at least this should be
documented somewhere, so consider this post documentation.

Thanks to everyone who replied,
Rob

--
Rob Thorne