Re: Recommended Configuration for PCMCIA Wireless Cards?

--- Rob Thorne <rob@torenware.com> wrote:
> I've been using an Orinoco Silver card with RH
> 7.2/Intel without much
> trouble, and have just upgraded to 8.0.   The right
> drivers (orinoco_cs,
> orinoco, hermes, etc.) are getting loaded at start
> up, and the card is
> getting power.   But WEP encryption is not getting
> correctly set up,
> which causes the card to fail to connect with my AP.

I don't have an answer, but I'm starting to think that
something is wrong with the orinoco/wep configuration
in 8.0.  I have an orinoco silver card and have had
nothing but trouble with its connection.  This is a
card that works just fine in other distributions and
works just fine when I dual boot into windows.  I've
checked all settings, posted on this list twice,
googled, entered a ticket with RH (who said that
assistance with wifi was not a part of installation
support), and one or two other people have posted
similar problems.

Anyway, if I find an answer, I'll post a "SOLVED".
:-)

Regards,
Charles

P.S.  My backup Linksys WPC 11 v.3 works just fine
with the wlan packages with WEP enabled.  I thought
Orinoco cards were well supported and linksys cards
were not.  Go figure.