Making Xchat use .fonts RH8.0

So I found a link that describes how to create a .fonts directory, instructs
you to put all of your .ttf fonts in there, restart the X server and they
will automatically be available to X applications (with some caveats).
Can anyone point me in the direction of the documentation regarding the new
handling of fonts on Psyche?
Specifically am trying to get Xchat 1.8.10 use the .fonts directory, but
even after installing them into .fonts (and running oopadmin to get oo.o to
recognize 'em) Xchat is oblivious.  There seems to be no browse option or
anything to point it into the right directory.
A more general discussion about font handling would too be appreciated; for
example are the tweaks under "Preferences, Fonts" for rendering applied to
_every_ font available, including the .ttfs I just installed?  Or is that
just relevant to the stock-installed fonts?
Thanks for the help!