Re: Making Xchat use .fonts RH8.0

"Steven Raymond" <madpacket@hotmail.com> writes:
> So I found a link that describes how to create a .fonts directory,
> instructs you to put all of your .ttf fonts in there, restart the X
> server and they will automatically be available to X applications
> (with some caveats).
> Can anyone point me in the direction of the documentation regarding
> the new handling of fonts on Psyche?
> Specifically am trying to get Xchat 1.8.10 use the .fonts directory,
> but even after installing them into .fonts (and running oopadmin to
> get oo.o to recognize 'em) Xchat is oblivious.  There seems to be no
> browse option or anything to point it into the right directory.
> A more general discussion about font handling would too be
> appreciated; for example are the tweaks under "Preferences, Fonts" for
> rendering applied to _every_ font available, including the .ttfs I
> just installed?  Or is that just relevant to the stock-installed fonts?
> Thanks for the help!

There are two font subsystems, the old one is 15-20 years old and
is referred to as "core X fonts"; these are classic X Window System
fonts. To install new fonts for this, instructions should be easy to
google up, it involves putting the fonts in a system directory and
running ttmkfdir and restarting the "xfs" font server. Core X fonts
have these properties:

 - they are server-side, handled by the X server and xfs
 - they are always monochrome (not antialiased)
 - they have annoying names like "-urw-nimbus roman no9 l-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1"

The new font subsystem is being phased in to replace it. The new one
is called "fontconfig/Xft2" where fontconfig is the part that parses
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf and scans your ~/.fonts and /usr/share/fonts
directories, and Xft2 is the part that draws fonts on the screen.

 - these fonts are client-side, handled by the application
 - they can be used for printing etc. in addition to
   display on the screen
 - they can be rendered antialiased or not, as in Preferences->Fonts
   rendering tweaks
 - they have sane names like "Nimbus Sans"

So anyhow, we are currently in a transition period. Some applications,
namely those using Qt 3 or GTK 2, use the new system. Other
applications, most of the rest, use the old system.  You have to
install the fonts once for each system.

Over time (for the most part we hope by the next release), everything
will move to the new system.

(Someone add this post to a FAQ somewhere! ;-)

Havoc