Re: Recommended Configuration for PCMCIA Wireless Cards?

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 20:20, Rob Thorne wrote:
> I figured out the problem.  It's a bad assumption in one of the scripts.
>   In the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions,  there's
> a function:
>
>     is_wireless_device ()
>     {
>         [ -x /sbin/iwconfig ] || return 1
>         LC_ALL=C iwconfig $1 2>&1 | grep -q "no wireless extensions" ||
>     return 0
>         return 1
>     }

Rob,

I did a fresh install which put iwconfig where it was expected.  Was
your install an upgrade?

It's little things like this that have kept me from doing upgrades (from
any distro, not just Red Hat).  I always back up my data and do a fresh
install.  Maybe the Debian folks or BSDs can do complete system upgrades
cleanly, but not the distros I've used.

One thing is for sure, the scripts in 8.0 are very much improved over
7.3.  The SuSE 8.0 scripts for wireless with WEP were also badly broken,
later fixed with a patch, now the new SuSE 8.1 scripts are broken again.

Anyway, I'm glad your Orinoco is working!

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+