Re: Recommended Configuration for PCMCIA Wireless Cards?

Thomas Dodd wrote:

> My point was, WEP provides no security. If you need security,
> implement something, other wise just go without WEP. It only slows the
> connection.

Not totally correct.  Yes, it's easy to crack, and there are good tools
available to do just that.  But if all you need or want to do is stop
the casual wireless user, it's enough, it's simple to use, and it's well
supported.

There's also a legal difference between listening in on a message that's
broadcast in the clear,  and one that is encrypted, even badly, if I
remember right.

But you're absolutely correct in saying that if you want real security,
WEP is worse than useless: it gives the appearance of security without
the substance of it.

>> I'm assuming it's a script problem, since I have established that
>> entering the iwconfig eth1 key 's:xxxxx' format works fine.   I'm
>> trying to trace through RedHat's munged versions of the Wireless
>> Tools scripts, but still have not emerged from that rabbit hole.
>

> Probably, but it works with other cards right?

No idea, since I don't have any non-Orinoco PCMCIA cards handy.  But I'd
actually be a little surprised if anything else worked, since there is
very little in the scripts that would treat it different than anything
other card (and Orinoco works fine with WEP on 8.0, just not via the
Redhat scripts).

--
Rob Thorne
Chief Technical Officer