Re: Recommended Configuration for PCMCIA Wireless Cards?

Thomas Dodd wrote:

> Charles Griffin wrote:
>
>> I don't have an answer, but I'm starting to think that
>> something is wrong with the orinoco/wep configuration
>> in 8.0.  I have an orinoco silver card and have had
>> nothing but trouble with its connection.  This is a
>> card that works just fine in other distributions and
>> works just fine when I dual boot into windows.  I've
>> checked all settings, posted on this list twice,
>> googled, entered a ticket with RH (who said that
>> assistance with wifi was not a part of installation
>> support), and one or two other people have posted
>> similar problems.
>>
>> Anyway, if I find an answer, I'll post a "SOLVED".
>

> Simplest solution, don't use WEP. It just slows the link
> down anyway. There simple scripts to quickly break WEP,
> so it doesn't provide any security.

While I'm inclined to agree with you about WEP in general, there are
applications where a VPN is overkill, and just makes configuration that
much more error prone and complex.   So for applications where a VPN is
not worth the hassle, WEP needs to work.

I'm assuming it's a script problem, since I have established that
entering the iwconfig eth1 key 's:xxxxx' format works fine.   I'm trying
to trace through RedHat's munged versions of the Wireless Tools scripts,
but still have not emerged from that rabbit hole.

--
Rob Thorne
Chief Technical Officer