Re: metacity window resize

John Coldrick wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 17:50, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>

>>If your going to prot an app to an OS, you should at least look
>>into the default keybindings for the OS. Imagine porting an app
>>from X11 to windows.
>

> 	Please see posts by Rene Rask - he's right.  These apps we're talking
> about aren't openoffice - they *need* these keyequivs and it's simply
> wrong to expect end users to change the way they work based on the
> platform.

No I don't. But Havoc is working to fix this *minor* issue.
It monor since few people are useing an app that use those
combos. Nothing in the RHL distribution uses them. Most
3rd party apps don't use them either.

Here's a $10k app that does. But how many computer users
are using $10K apps? 1%? 5% at most. So it's a minor issue.

Are there not workarounds for those 1-5%? Like a menu entry?
So it's not as fast. How about a different WM. Maybe sawfish,
run sawfish-ui, goto "Bindings" tab, context=Window,
and delete/edit the W-Button1-Move binnding and any others
that bother you.

> 	My point about Ctl-c and Ctl-v seems to have been ignored.  You
> wouldn't use those - would you?  Of course not.  Alas, there is no

Use them for what? The WM? probably not. But in an app, sure,
just not for Copy or Paste.

> standard for what should or shouldn't be touched - but I think our point
> is that Linux went *way* too far with it's wm's - desparately grabbing
> all sorts of keys just because they *could*.

And for the most part those keys were unused. Most WMs allow you to
change the bindings. And you always have the choice to use a different
WM, one that does what you want, how you want it.

>>If I write a *nix app, it will use those. If I were to port it to
>>windows, I'd switch the bindings to match windows, since Ctl+A
>>is normaly "Select All" there. But I don't expect that in linux, or any
>>other unix.
>

> 	Use Houdini, or Maya.  Believe me - it's simply not practical, and

Since I'm and Electrical engineer, I don't have much use for
them. And with the current market, I don't have $10K to spend
to play with them. I mentioned Photoshop before. My wife is a
graphic designer, and use that with Freehand. So I know a little
about them. Same for Quark, and Illustrator. Not cheap, but not
$10k either.

> surely you must agree that it would be *nice* if there was a cross
> platform standard that said "these key-equivs should be offlimits *as
> defaults* to wms"?  I have no trouble whatsoever if they give you the
> option to turn it on!

Nice? Sure. But who's going to develop it? How you going to
convince the apps writers to use it? There are defacto standards in
linux. Like double-click on the title bar to shade, not max_xy.
I think that Alt+button1 is fairly standard too. I just checked
and olwm uses it. The manpage on my Solaris8 box says
"Last change: 25 Nov 1992" So it has been using that forat least
10 years.

	-Thomas