Re: metacity window resize

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 17:05, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> It's nonsense to say the WM should not bind any keys by default (and
> also nonsense that users should have to change default keybindings to
> use an application). The only reasonable way out of the problem is to
> coordinate between the apps and the WM who will own which keys.

	Ummm, I would disagree here.  You may disagree with his comment, but
it's certainly not nonsense.  We work on a commercial animation package
called Houdini, which *requires* access to Alt-mouseclick key equivs.
Houdini runs on Irix, Linux, Solaris and Windows, and it's only Gnome
and KDE that requires the user to turn off features of the desktop
before you can use the app.  The same problem occurs with Maya - another
animation package that runs on most of the above platforms.  I'm all for
customization(another issue I won't touch on since I know you're racing
to implement missing features here), but expecting the people writing
the app to coordinate with you everytime they use a key equiv?  When
they're porting to several platforms?  I'm not sure it will happen.
Would you grab and use Ctl-v?  Ctl-c?  Of course not, because they're
typically used by apps.  I think this is a case of you being exposed to
a certain set of apps and not others.  There's nothing wrong with that -
but I take issue with the decision to hardwire event grabs into the wm
without any way of turning it off.  I would have preferred to have a
simpler wm that has less "features" that are added slowly, with access.
	Damage is already done, but I guess just for the future, I'm pointing
this out for what it's worth.  I intend this in the most positive
fashion, not as a flame.  I would have been *far* less upset about
wasting 5 days digging through the inet for answers if RH, or Gnome, or
*someone* gave an easy out to metacity with clear documentation
somewhere.  This is always my biggest complaint each time a new release
of something Linux comes out.  A handful of gurus know the answers, and
they must be nagged by frustrated end users until the net is finally, a
year later, flooded with disorganized answers.
	I understand you've got a patch in there now re: some equivs, but we're
also suffering from a lockout with houdini related only to
metacity(sawfish/KDE run fine).  I'm not sure how bugzilla could deal
with that given it's a commercial product - I'll guess I'll leave it
with the app company to deal with it if they wish...or they'll probably
just say "turn off metacity"....

	Cheers,

	J.C.

Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
jc@axyzfx.com                                        M5V 1S4
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active.
		-- Leonardo da Vinci