Re: metacity window resize

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 09:05, John Coldrick wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 17:05, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > It's nonsense to say the WM should not bind any keys by default (and
> > also nonsense that users should have to change default keybindings to
> > use an application). The only reasonable way out of the problem is to
> > coordinate between the apps and the WM who will own which keys.
>
> 	Ummm, I would disagree here.  You may disagree with his comment, but
> it's certainly not nonsense.  We work on a commercial animation package
> called Houdini, which *requires* access to Alt-mouseclick key equivs.
> Houdini runs on Irix, Linux, Solaris and Windows, and it's only Gnome
> and KDE that requires the user to turn off features of the desktop

IIRC, Every window manager I've ever used on Linux defaults to using
ALT+MB1 to move windows.  That includes AfterStep, FVWM 1 & 2, BlackBox,
Enlightenment, Sawfish, Metacity, KWM, and Kwin.  It's not "only Gnome
and KDE"...

Given that ALT+MB1 is a fairly standard key combo used by WM's and
unavailable to applications;  I'd agree that it's nonsense for
applications to make that key combo central to any critical
functionality.

> Would you grab and use Ctl-v?  Ctl-c?  Of course not, because they're
> typically used by apps.

Exactly;  Applications shouldn't use ALT+MB1 because they're typically
used by WM's.  It works both ways.