Re: metacity window resize

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 15:56, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> IIRC, Every window manager I've ever used on Linux defaults to using
> ALT+MB1 to move windows.  That includes AfterStep, FVWM 1 & 2, BlackBox,
> Enlightenment, Sawfish, Metacity, KWM, and Kwin.  It's not "only Gnome
> and KDE"...

	Thanks for the nitpik.  My point was that it's only on Linux this
problem happens.

> Given that ALT+MB1 is a fairly standard key combo used by WM's and
> unavailable to applications;

	on linux!

  I'd agree that it's nonsense for
> applications to make that key combo central to any critical
> functionality.

	Look - I was one of the first people pushing to get highend 3d apps on
Linux...I was using it back when it was *only* used for render farming.
I did not want to use Windows in our then-all Irix environment.  I'm
speaking as someone who struggled to get Linux accepted as a graphics
workstation.  It was an uphill battle, especially with the almost
useless OGL support from XFree at the time.  I feel somewhat smug now
that it's the new hot thing in our business, but I'm also frustrated by
the somewhat isolated philosophies that spawn from the open source
movement.  You're displaying it.  This is verging into OT - but very
simply - the world does not revolve around Linux.  Maybe *yours* does,
but not the people who make highend apps.  It's to everyone's advantage
to not display such a "screw you" attitude to people who come from a
different background.  "Applications shouldn't use ALT+MB1 because
they're typically used by WM's"???  In your world, not mine.

	J.C.

Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
jc@axyzfx.com                                        M5V 1S4
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active.
		-- Leonardo da Vinci