Re: metacity window resize

John Coldrick wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 15:56, Gordon Messmer wrote:

>>Given that ALT+MB1 is a fairly standard key combo used by WM's and
>>unavailable to applications;
 >
>on linux!

If your going to prot an app to an OS, you should at least look
into the default keybindings for the OS. Imagine porting an app
from X11 to windows. Until recently Alt+F4 didn't do anything
in most window managers. So would you continue to use those keys
in windows and complain that it doesn't work, or change it, since
windows uses that for "Close"?

> 	Look - I was one of the first people pushing to get highend 3d apps on
> Linux...I was using it back when it was *only* used for render farming.
> I did not want to use Windows in our then-all Irix environment.  I'm
> speaking as someone who struggled to get Linux accepted as a graphics
> workstation.  It was an uphill battle, especially with the almost
> useless OGL support from XFree at the time.  I feel somewhat smug now
> that it's the new hot thing in our business, but I'm also frustrated by
> the somewhat isolated philosophies that spawn from the open source
> movement.  You're displaying it.  This is verging into OT - but very
> simply - the world does not revolve around Linux.  Maybe *yours* does,
> but not the people who make highend apps.  It's to everyone's advantage
> to not display such a "screw you" attitude to people who come from a
> different background.  "Applications shouldn't use ALT+MB1 because
> they're typically used by WM's"???  In your world, not mine.

I would guess you world didn't even have window managers then.
So when you switched to a new environment, you assumed it
was the same.

One of the changes in mozilla was a switch to using Ctl+<key> instead
of the old X11 defaults of Meta+<key>. (Meta aka Alt to most) But
it matched other OS settings, so it stuck. As a long tome emacs user
I'm used to using Ctl+A and Ctl+E instead of <Home> and <End>.

If I write a *nix app, it will use those. If I were to port it to
windows, I'd switch the bindings to match windows, since Ctl+A
is normaly "Select All" there. But I don't expect that in linux, or any
other unix.

	-Thomas