Re: metacity window resize

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 17:50, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> If your going to prot an app to an OS, you should at least look
> into the default keybindings for the OS. Imagine porting an app
> from X11 to windows.

	Please see posts by Rene Rask - he's right.  These apps we're talking
about aren't openoffice - they *need* these keyequivs and it's simply
wrong to expect end users to change the way they work based on the
platform.
	My point about Ctl-c and Ctl-v seems to have been ignored.  You
wouldn't use those - would you?  Of course not.  Alas, there is no
standard for what should or shouldn't be touched - but I think our point
is that Linux went *way* too far with it's wm's - desparately grabbing
all sorts of keys just because they *could*.

> I would guess you world didn't even have window managers then.
> So when you switched to a new environment, you assumed it
> was the same.

	There's no assuming to be done.  I've been using wm's for a long time,
on different platforms.  I don't *assume* anything, it's just a fact
that Linux requires a lot more turning off of "features" before it
becomes usable.  I think our argument is that is wrong, and a leaner
feel should be used.

> If I write a *nix app, it will use those. If I were to port it to
> windows, I'd switch the bindings to match windows, since Ctl+A
> is normaly "Select All" there. But I don't expect that in linux, or any
> other unix.

	Use Houdini, or Maya.  Believe me - it's simply not practical, and
surely you must agree that it would be *nice* if there was a cross
platform standard that said "these key-equivs should be offlimits *as
defaults* to wms"?  I have no trouble whatsoever if they give you the
option to turn it on!

	J.C.

Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
jc@axyzfx.com                                        M5V 1S4
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active.
		-- Leonardo da Vinci