Re: Orinoco Gold PCMCIA and WEP

--- Kevin.Lisciotti@bos.frb.org wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an IBM Thinkpad 600E laptop with an Orinoco
> Gold card and Netgear
> ME102 access point. I have the card properly
> configured and working
> flawlessly without WEP. I am aware of the
> insecurities with WEP but it
> does add another hurdle the attacker must take time
> to overcome and I
> would like to get it working.
>
> An lsmod shows the orinoco modules loaded, and I've
> set up the encyption
> key, I've tried using both 40/64 and 128 bit wep
> configurations, but none
> of them work. As soon as I enable wep on the access
> point, the card can't
> identify it and I can't connect. Does the orinoco
> module out of the box
> support wep, or do I need a different module and/or
> driver?  Do I have to
> recompile the kernel? Sorry I don't have any config
> files or output
> messages, but I'm at work. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated! Thanks!

I have a somewhat similar problem that has carried
over from Null... I have a Dell CPx-500 laptop and I
use an Orinoco Silver wifi card to connect to my
access point/router that is attached to my desktop.
I've entered my essid and wep information and all
seems fine.  The orinoco drivers are loaded ok.  When
I fire up mozilla, however, I can connect to only 1 or
2 websites.  If I try to click on a link within a
website, nothing happens.  If I manually type in a new
URL, I can usually connect to the new site, but not
always.  Overall, performance is extremely poor and
generally if I try to connect to another website, the
mozilla spinner just spins and nothing happens.  It's
not a hardware problem because it has worked in other
linux installations and also works in windows.

I've entered a trouble ticket with RH (I bought my RH
8.0) so hopefully I'll find some joy there...

Regards,
Charles