Re: metacity window resize

John Coldrick wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 17:05, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
>>It's nonsense to say the WM should not bind any keys by default (and
>>also nonsense that users should have to change default keybindings to
>>use an application). The only reasonable way out of the problem is to
>>coordinate between the apps and the WM who will own which keys.
>

> 	Ummm, I would disagree here.  You may disagree with his comment, but
> it's certainly not nonsense.  We work on a commercial animation package
> called Houdini, which *requires* access to Alt-mouseclick key equivs.

I may be wandering a bit off topic here, but I think that it would be
better if a window manager didn't use key-mouse bindings on the client's
area of the window at all.  I think a reasonable alternative to using
<alt>-left-click-and-drag to move a window who's titlebar is obscured
would be to use right-click-and-drag on the window border.  This works
in all cases, since whenever part of the client area of a window is
exposed, so is part of the border.  The only exception I can think of is
when a window is maximized and "locked."

An interesting permutation of this is the ability to move a window via
the border _without_ raising it.  This comes in very handy when cutting
and pasting large blocks of text between two windows.

TC