Re: metacity window resize

Gordon Messmer <yinyang@eburg.com> writes:
> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 09:05, John Coldrick wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 17:05, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > > It's nonsense to say the WM should not bind any keys by default (and
> > > also nonsense that users should have to change default keybindings to
> > > use an application). The only reasonable way out of the problem is to
> > > coordinate between the apps and the WM who will own which keys.
> >
> > 	Ummm, I would disagree here.  You may disagree with his comment, but
> > it's certainly not nonsense.  We work on a commercial animation package
> > called Houdini, which *requires* access to Alt-mouseclick key equivs.
> > Houdini runs on Irix, Linux, Solaris and Windows, and it's only Gnome
> > and KDE that requires the user to turn off features of the desktop

Note, I'm not saying it's nonsense to dispute whether apps or WM
should own Alt+mouseclick in particular. I still have the gnome.org
bug open for consideration of that issue.

However some people have asserted that the WM should not use any keys,
or that an acceptable solution to any key conflict is for people to
configure their WM.

I don't think either of those are reasonable. It should all work
out-of-the-box, and there should definitely be window navigation
shortcuts out-of-the-box.

So the question is just what the default window navigation shortcuts
should be. But once we decide what they should be, at some point it
has to be considered a bug if applications use those shortcuts,
whether the WM is configurable or not.

Since UNIX has historically had no standards at all here, and does not
fully map to windows (e.g. we have shortcuts to deal with workspaces),
I consider it unavoidable that some apps will need to change in order
to fix things that I consider bugs.

In the past, conflicts between defaults have just not been considered
bugs, and people have just said "configure your WM" - I find this
broken. And this is the kind of breakage metacity's relative
non-configurability is largely intended to try to address - the same
basic issue arises in the case of many other preferences, where users
are expected to work around various kinds of apps by toggling prefs.
When the problem to work around creates inconvenience rather than
totally disabling an app, often I won't add workaronds for it, in the
interests of promoting motion toward a single "just works" solution.

So that's all I'm saying. For sure, the issue of who should own
Alt+click is still open.

Havoc