Re: Cannot connect to Internet with web browser using URL but canconnect using IP address -- SOLVED!

Well, after further investigation, I've managed to solve
this problem.

It turns out to be a matter of permissions. I logged on as
root, and was able to connect with the web browser. I also
noticed that an error message "hostname not found" that
occurred when loading X as a user also did not occur. This
gave me a clue.

After much wandering around the hard disk, I found that RH
8.0 apparently installs copies of /etc/hosts and
/etc/resolv.conf in a directory
etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default and uses these
instead of the ones in /etc to determine hostname and
nameserver information (or at least my copy does). Once I
changed the permissions on them from 600 to 644, the
problems disappeared.

Now, what I am curious about is that this setup does not
occur on RH7.3. The directory
etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default is there but is
empty.  So is this "feature" new to RH 8.0, and is using the
files here to override the files in /etc normal, or is it
just my system and somehow I have screwed it up? I would
think that if this was deliberate, than the files between
/etc and etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default would be
links, not distinct files.

Would anyone with RH8.0 take a moment and see if
etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default exists on their
system and what is in it, if anything.

To all those who took the time to help, my thanx.

And to those who designed Red Hat 8.0 (Psycho), if this is a
deliberate feature, a resounding Bronx cheer for the three
days lost over this issue.

BOF