Re: Antialiasing blurs vertical font elements

On 14 Nov 2002, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

>OT> It's a matter of preference
>
>I don't doubt it, but I've yet to have any users here tell me that
>they prefer the new RH8 default and instead have received several
>complaints about it.  A couple of users have requested new monitors
>because the increased blurriness led them to believe that their
>equipment was on the fritz.

That's quite odd.  Most of the comments I hear from new users
about the font quality in RHL 8.0 is very positive praise.  Very
few complaints at all.

However, since we realize different people have different
preferences, we do make things configurable.  And since you must
have one default setting, we do have one.  It is not possible to
have a single default setting please everyone.  And by changing
the default to the opposite of what it is, we would just get
complaints from group B.  So, feel free to customize the settings
until they match your preference.  That's about all I can
suggest.

The font technology present in Red Hat Linux 8.0, is mostly
developed by the Freetype project, XFree86 Project (Keith
Packard), and also Owen Taylor.  You've provided Owen and myself
with some feedback, however you may also want to provide feedback
to the other projects also.  This technology will improve over
time, and user comments are definitely useful and appreciated,
both good and bad.

>OT> To tweak stuff not running under GNOME, you want to edit
>OT> /etc/X11/Xresources.
>
>Thanks, I've been looking for days but I never would have thought to
>look there.  That file seems to be new in 8.0; could you point me to
>the piece of documentation that would have led me there so that I can
>read up on things?  A grep through everything I have in /usr/share/doc
>doesn't reveal anything.

Actually, /etc/X11/Xresources is not new to Red Hat Linux 8.0.
It is a stock standard X11 config file that has been around for
ages.  The per user file is ~/.Xresources

Hope this helps,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer