Diamond Stealth II S220 problem

Hi,

It was suggested that I post to this list in hopes of getting help with
my problem so here it goes.

I installed RH8.0 on an older, PII 266MHz, computer.  It has a Diamond
Stealth II S220 graphics card.  This system was originally running
Windows 95 without trouble, if that matters.

My problem is that when I launch startx, it starts but everything is
huge.  Looks like the resolution is set to whatever is the next larger
setting after 640x480.  Can't figure out how to get it to be more
reasonable.

On the Psyche-list I was directed to the XF86Config file.  There I was
directed to run XFree86 -configure but that didn't help.  Now it looks
like the horizontal sync is out of wack and I have to reboot the server
to recover.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Linn