Re: Antialiasing blurs vertical font elements

MAH> I just looked at the picture above and it looks like straight
MAH> antialiased fonts.

As I said, the vertical elements are not grid-snapped as they were in
earlier versions of Red Hat.  The source of this was revealed earlier
in this thread.

MAH> I do not see any subpixel rendering effects
MAH> or artifacts present in the image.  This could be because you
MAH> used xmag to magnify it possibly, if there are in fact artifacts.

No, the artifact is clearly in the source image, and has been revealed
(by other messages in this thread) to be intentional.  Too bad for me
that the default has been chosen to be something that I think looks
poor, but it's a one line change to put it back to something readable
so I'm not complaining.

MAH> Not sure, as the gif above doesn't really show much IMHO.  It
MAH> looks like some of the stems are being antialiased on the sides,
MAH> which looks just plain wrong in every way, but other than that, I
MAH> see no subpixel rendering artifacts.

Yes, the stems are being antialiased (or at least, not snapped to the
pixel grid and not forced to integer-pixel-width).  This is what I've
been calling "vertical font elements" but if "stems" is the proper
term then, hey, I've learned something else.

Your "just plain wrong in every way" seems to indicate that you might
agree with me.

 - J<