Re: Antialiasing blurs vertical font elements

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 09:37:54PM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> That's quite odd.  Most of the comments I hear from new users
> about the font quality in RHL 8.0 is very positive praise.  Very
> few complaints at all.

Maybe because they do not bother to complain?

I just came back from Supercomputing 2002 conference and show in
Baltimore.  Linux and Red Hat in particular were present really
everywhere.  Red Hat 8.0 installations showed up but they were truly
a rare sight.  On few occasions participants were asked specifically
what they are running. Among other things lots and lots of 7.3 and
7.2 Red Hat systems.  People using 8.0 were a scarce oddity but very
numerous statements of a sort "we tried 8.0 and it does not work; we
will wait with updates for something usable".  Fonts issues were
likely not on the top of "broken" list but generally people were not
very happy.  They tend to dismiss troubles because x.0 releases had
"traditionally" sizeable rosters of issues but it seems that they
may be for a long wait.

  Michal