Re: Formal Reiser4 inclusion and todo list?

William Fisher wrote:
Folks:

Is there a "formal" to-do list for R4 for it's eventual
inclusion into the kernel source tree?

I have asked Edward this question over a year ago,
and was pointed to some scraps of the dead
Namesys web site.

You was pointed to a google cache which was valid
for a long time.

Who knows if the list is even
accurate today? It's hard to track progress without
a "plan" and a list of development tasks.

Ok, we'll help you.
This is the original to-do list:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/3/38

The latest addressed issue was the one about
set_page_dirty_internal(): I have patched VFS
not so long ago:

The following items are still unaddressed:

1. running igrab() in the writepage() path is really going to hammer
  inode_lock.  Something else will need to be done here.

2. Running iput() in entd() is a bit surprising. iirc there are various ways in which this can recur into the filesystem, perform I/O, etc. I guess it
  works..
  But again, it will hammer inode_lock.

3. the writeout logic in entd_flush() is interesting (as in "holy cow").
  It's very central and really needs some good comments describing what's
  going on in there - what problems are being solved, which decisions were
  taken and why, etc.

4. reiser4_wait_page_writeback() needs commenting.

5. reading the comment in txnmgr.c regarding MAP_SHARED pages: a number of
  things have changed since then.  We have page-becoming-writeable
  notifications and probably soon we'll always take a pagefault when a
MAP_SHARED page transitions from pte-clean to pte-dirty (although I wouldn't
  recommend that a filesystem rely upon the latter for a while yet).

Feel free to address them.

Thanks,
Edward.