Re: The... reiser4 with no ambiguity

Ralph Ulrich wrote:
> Edward Shishkin Wednesday 17 December 2008 22:49:
>
>> I am a bit disappointed: I wanted to concentrate efforts
>> on the Linux port..
>>

> I would like to create some kind of reiser4-SDK where
> more people can easily experiment with reiser4.

I am skeptical about expediency of the end product,
especially after taking into account its possible high
cost:  why people can not experiment with reiser4,
say, in uml (user mode linux )?

> In my vision reiser4 has a big future as a specialized
> filesystem: A filesystem where you can add special features/logic/semantics perhaps even dynamicly.

Imho specialized filesystem is something like ramfs ;)

> I need a different reiser4: A minimal reiser4 "kernel" with
> common features,  this r4-kernel then loads extensions
> special to a r4 partition directly from that partition.
> I mean the defenitions of extensions but also the code
> of these extensions. So there has to be a common
> interpreter of such extensions included in a r4-"kernel".
>

> This way every r4-"extended"-partition can serve a
> different purpose. Eg think of some semantic
> extensions special to music. Users would mount
> a specialized r4 partition at
> /home/username/mymusic
> Or for pictures .... etc
>
> I believe reiser4 has a big future with its capabilities
> in a field of special storage. Think of all the new
> little "iphone" devices.
>

>>>  (probably D: has clean syntax, has classes and
>>>
>> yup, object-oriented means would be a plus.
>>
> A rewrite would have self-educational purpose for me
> personally and could have documentation effects
> (if done proper) for reiser4 in general.
>

>>> Could reiser4 fit well to my purpose ?
>>>
>> You might want a high-performance reiser4 storage level
>> with EOTTL technology.
>>
> EOTTL ??

yes, "extents on the twig level", the favourite Hans' feature..

>>> The first part of my work would be to enable a special place
>>> on disk for definitions of used plugins.
>>>
>> Sorry, can not understand the above.
>>
> See above notes!

Why to not load the "extensions" from a file?
I don't think, that additional formats to store it
on a "low level" is a good idea and the first
issue to resolve...

Edward.