Re: The reiser4 programming style is recursive?

Ralph wrote:

>>> Edward, what do you mean "reiser4 subsystem",
>>>
>> examples of subsystems:
>>
>> in kernel:
>> . transaction manager;
>> . flush manager;
>> . tree operations (balancing);
>> . unix file plugin;
>>
>> in user-space:
>> . libaal and reiser4progs
>>

> I think the user-space libaal and reiser4progs are no problem,

once, you implement xattrs, checksums, etc., it'll become
a problem immediately, as fsck must know about them..

>  everybody who uses your reiser4 patches runs that....
>
> I had a look at your reiser4 patches, and it is clear to me - as the patches
> interfere just a handful of lines with the rest of the linux kernel - there is no reiser4 transaction manager in place with just the patches, right ?

Its code can be found in reiser4/txnmgr.c

> Why not creating an experimental vbox real-reiser4-linux image, which everyone interested can get per torrent at mininova ?
>
> I know transaction capability of reiser4 was announced on namesys.com at that time.

yes

>  And the right balancing code in place would have effects like optimizing access on hard disk, right?

 yes

>> The best way is to start with writing something useful, say
>> xattrs support, or (meta)data checksums support.
>>

> I read about the xattr problem, traditional linux xattr is to big to suit in place. This means you have to apply the reiser4-philosophy: A file can
> have sub files (is not only a file but also a directory of subfiles). Why not creating a new reiser4 specific file type just for xattr.

Subfiles are impossible because of a problem on vfs level
related to hardlink functionality. It seems not yet resolved...

>  This filetype will be ignored by vfs-api invoked commands except for xattr specific commands.
> Such a filetype would be implemented via a new file plugin, i guess, right ?

You are right about new file plugin for xattrs support:
It is important to not break compatibility.
It should be based on some existing file plugin for
regular files (currently there are 2 ones: unix-file plugin
and cryptcompress plugin).

Edward.