Re: The reiser4 programming style is recursive?

Edward Shishkin wrote:
>>> To maintain at least one reiser4 subsystem would be real help..
>>> However, it requires a victim in the person of some student(s),
>>> who is ready to kill the best years by sitting in front of monitor
>>> and studying reiser4 sources..
>> Edward, what do you mean "reiser4 subsystem",
> examples of subsystems:
>
> in kernel:
> . transaction manager;
> . flush manager;
> . tree operations (balancing);
> . unix file plugin;
>
> in user-space:
> . libaal and reiser4progs

I think the user-space libaal and reiser4progs are no problem, everybody who uses your reiser4 patches runs that....

I had a look at your reiser4 patches, and it is clear to me - as the patches
interfere just a handful of lines with the rest of the linux kernel - there is no reiser4 transaction manager in place with just the patches, right ?

Why not creating an experimental vbox real-reiser4-linux image, which everyone interested can get per torrent at mininova ?

I know transaction capability of reiser4 was announced on namesys.com at that time. And the right balancing code in place would have effects like optimizing access on hard disk, right?

> The best way is to start with writing something useful, say
> xattrs support, or (meta)data checksums support.

I read about the xattr problem, traditional linux xattr is to big to suit in place. This means you have to apply the reiser4-philosophy: A file can
have sub files (is not only a file but also a directory of subfiles). Why not creating a new reiser4 specific file type just for xattr. This filetype will be ignored by vfs-api invoked commands except for xattr specific commands.
Such a filetype would be implemented via a new file plugin, i guess, right ?

Ralph