Re: tcpdump broken after rh9 2.4.20-27.9 kernel upgrade

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 13:06, Robert Brown wrote:
> OK, now I am ready to incriminate the hubs!  I started tcpdump on the
> eth0 port of the NIDS and all it could sniff was packets with its own
> address or braodcast packets such as arps.  I then power cycled the
> hub.  When the hub powered back up, tcpdump siffed 2 packets that did
> not have its own ip address as either src or dst, then it quit!  I
> power cycled again: same thing -- 2 packets, then nada.  It seems that
> these "hubs" are blocking traffic not destined for a port after a
> brief period of "proper hub-like" operation.

Sorry for butting in late in the thread, but didn't you already mention
that these "hubs" worked fine with the same hosts running an older
kernel?  Why would the change of kernel affect the behavior of dumb
network devices?  Did I miss something?

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting