Re: tcpdump broken after rh9 2.4.20-27.9 kernel upgrade

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 07:38:21 -0600 (CST), Robert Brown wrote:

> Michael Schwendt writes:
>  > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:50:52 -0600 (CST), Robert Brown wrote:
>  >
>  > > Unfortunately, the 2.4.20-27.9 upgrade, unlike previous rh9 upgrades,
>  > > took it upon itself to automatically delete all earlier versions of
>  > > the kernel from the system, so I cannot simply edit
>  > > /boot/grub/grub.conf to default to the older kernel.
>  > >
>  > > I think somebody at Red Hat maybe had a little too much holiday happy
>  > > juice just before that release was tested...  :-<
>  >
>  > No. Your mistake. Don't upgrade kernel packages. That will erase older
>  > kernel packages. Install the new package, so you keep multiple installed
>  > kernel packages which can co-exist.
>
> As I also said in my reply to your essentially identical post, I used
> -Fvh.  Bad choice of the word "update" on my part.  I was using it
> descriptively, not as the name of a mode of operation of the rpm
> program.  I have been using -Fvh for all of the kernel "updates" to
> rh9, and never had this happen before.

-Fvh is -Uvh with the exception that it only upgrades a package if an
older version is installed already. On the contrary, -Uvh would install
a package if no older version is installed already. Else it would
upgrade the older package, i.e. erase it and install the newer one.
For kernels you whould have used -ivh.