Re: Update boot problem

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 07:35:10 -0600 (CST), Robert Brown wrote:

>  > > When I updated from the 2.4.20-24.9 to the
>  > > 2.4.20-27.9 kernel, I noticed that all of my previous kernel images
>  > > were deleted.
>  >
>  > > Perhaps you, like I, updated by downloading the rpms and applying the
>  > > updates manually.
>  >
>  > When you do that, don't use "rpm -Uvh" to upgrade the kernel package.
>  > Use "rpm -ivh" to install the new kernel, keeping the installed ones.
>  >
>  > > Other members of this list who used up2date did not
>  > > notice this behaviour.  See the archives for the thread I started on
>  > > tcpdump problems, where I mention this in passing.
>  >
>  > up2date installs kernel packages instead of upgrading them.
>  >
>  > --
>
> Actually, I did a -Fvh, which is the procedure I used on all the other
> kernels.

That is --freshen (-F) which erases older kernel packages like -U.
The most recent kernel package is no different from the previous
kernel packages. You should have used -ivh.

> You know, its funny, but I started this thread last night because of a
> problem with tcpdump, but everybody finds the quirk of my old kernels
> being deleted more interesting to discuss.

Maybe. Didn't know that you don't appreciate comments on less important
parts of your message. Thought you would find it interesting to learn
why your older kernels were erased. qI haven't evaluated the 27.x kernel
yet, since someone in bugzilla added a comment that it wouldn't fix the
iptables conntrack rmmod hang.