Re: Update boot problem

Michael Schwendt writes:
 > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:56:06 -0600 (CST), Robert Brown wrote:
 >
 > > When I updated from the 2.4.20-24.9 to the
 > > 2.4.20-27.9 kernel, I noticed that all of my previous kernel images
 > > were deleted.
 >
 > > Perhaps you, like I, updated by downloading the rpms and applying the
 > > updates manually.
 >
 > When you do that, don't use "rpm -Uvh" to upgrade the kernel package.
 > Use "rpm -ivh" to install the new kernel, keeping the installed ones.
 >
 > > Other members of this list who used up2date did not
 > > notice this behaviour.  See the archives for the thread I started on
 > > tcpdump problems, where I mention this in passing.
 >
 > up2date installs kernel packages instead of upgrading them.
 >
 > --

Actually, I did a -Fvh, which is the procedure I used on all the other
kernels.

You know, its funny, but I started this thread last night because of a
problem with tcpdump, but everybody finds the quirk of my old kernels
being deleted more interesting to discuss.  I only mentioned the
kernel problem in passsing in case it might be significant to
diagnosing the tcpdump problem.

So, to get this thread back on track, I repeat my original question:

I use tcpdump as a component of an network monitoring tool and to feed
the snort intrusion detecti0on system.  I have done so for several
years.  After upgrading from the 2.4.20-24.9 to the 2.4.20-27.9
kernel, my tdpdump no longer functions properly.  It is acting like
perhaps the promiscuous mode is not taking effect, even though an
ifconfig shows all the monitored interfaces to be in promiscuous
mode.

Has anybody else seen this?  Is there a fix?

Thanks!
Bob "Rj" Brown

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------