Re: tcpdump broken after rh9 2.4.20-27.9 kernel upgrade

Wait a sec. You are seeing this same behavior on other boxes? Are they all the
same setup? (i.e. RH9->with newest kernel).

If the machines are different, in regards to os/patch level, then that would
seem to indicate that the software isn't the issue.

Don't know if this pertains to your situtation but it may prove useful:
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200302/msg00247.html

In terms of the nic settings are they reporting the correct duplex (even though
you've set it it may not be taking...perhaps changes to the new modules?)
What does mii-tool/ethtool report?

Are the cards all the same? Are they plugged into different hubs (you've
probably already answered this, sorry)?

--Harry

Quoting Robert Brown <eli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

*>  > Do you have another *nix box that you can throw in place to ensure it's
*> not
*>  > network related?
*>
*> Yes, and I have similar symptoms on other boxes, although the only
*> other multi-homed boxes are the firewalls.  I see the problem even
*> when I run the above tcpdump cammand line from my worksation.
*>
*> I think promiscuous mode is broken.  I can set it with ifconfig, and
*> ifconfig reports that it is set, but I do not think it is working
*> anymore, not since the upgrade to the 2.4.20-27.9 kernel.
*>
*> How, other than by sniffing with tcpdump, can I verify this?
*>

--
Harry Hoffman
hhoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

# Harry: version 4.0a                                            #
# Known bugs:                                                    #
# 1) Verbal output may occur before data processing is complete. #
# 2) Loudspeaker option may activate without being invoked.      #
# 3) Other bugs as reported                                      #