Re: tcpdump broken after rh9 2.4.20-27.9 kernel upgrade

Robert Brown writes:
 > Sean Estabrooks writes:
 >  > Are you sure you're using a hub in
 >  > so that you can snoop all traffic?   If not you'll need a managed switch
 >  > which allows configuring a port as a snooping-port which isn't a feature
 >  > on many low end switches.

Actually, the managed switch snooping port is not a truly viable
solution either, as it is quite possible for the aggregate bandwidth
of all the traffic thru the switch to exceed the bandwidth
capabilities of the snooping port.  Even if you are using 100baseT for
the switch ports and it gives you a gigbit ethernet snoop port, you
are still limited to only 10 ports operating at half duplex, or 5
ports at full duplex.  Either the switch must force a slowdown, or the
snoop port will miss traffic.  Since missing snooped traffic is not an
option in my world, then you must force a slowdown of the entire
switch.  You might just as well use a hub; its whole lot cheaper!

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
R. J. Brown III  rj@xxxxxxxxxxx http://www.elilabs.com/~rj  voice 859 567-7311