Re: tcpdump broken after rh9 2.4.20-27.9 kernel upgrade

Sean Estabrooks writes:
 > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:33:00 -0600 (CST)
 > Robert Brown <eli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >

 > > Yes, and I have similar symptoms on other boxes, although the only
 > > other multi-homed boxes are the firewalls.  I see the problem even
 > > when I run the above tcpdump cammand line from my worksation.
 > >
 > > I think promiscuous mode is broken.  I can set it with ifconfig, and
 > > ifconfig reports that it is set, but I do not think it is working
 > > anymore, not since the upgrade to the 2.4.20-27.9 kernel.
 >
 > Forgive me if you already answered this question earlier in the thread:
 > Are you able to use promiscuous mode with an older kernel on the exact
 > same network?   It sure sounds like you are trying to sniff while plugged
 > into a network switch rather than a hub.   A switch routes the traffic
 > intelligently so you won't see anything but broadcasts and traffic
 > destined for your machine directly.   Are you sure you're using a hub in
 > so that you can snoop all traffic?   If not you'll need a managed switch
 > which allows configuring a port as a snooping-port which isn't a feature
 > on many low end switches.

Yes, I have been using this setup for several years now.  I recently
upgraded the lan and dmz hubs to 10/100baseT units, and upgraded all
the nics that could not do 100baseT to speed up the nightly backup
runs mostly.

I am well aware of the difference between a switch and a hub, and
between half and full duplex modes.  I researched carefully before
buying the 10/100baseT hub, even contacting the manufacturer's tech
support phone line to verify that indeed this device was a true hub,
and not a switch.  I require a half-duplex hubbed network to sniff all
packets.  As such, I have nailed up the nics to 100baseT half duplex
operation in the /etc/modules.conf file.

The whole thing was working fine with the 2.4.20-24.9 kernel, but
fails now that I have moved to the 2.4.20-27.9 kernel.

I am contemplating investing in some cheap 5-port switches and using
one of them on each dmz machine as isolators, so that if an intruder
is able to get in and install a sniffer, he still won't see anything
more that traffic for that one machine.  I have done this before, and
it works very well.  This way, I get the isolation of a switch
together with the surveillance capabilities of the hub.

 > > How, other than by sniffing with tcpdump, can I verify this?
 >
 > Snort  can listen itself without tcpdump, check out the man page for the
 > relevent switch settings.

Yes, but it uses the same Berkeley packet filter and libpcap library
as tcpdump, so it doesn't really proove anything.  I was wondering if
there was some way I could determine if the actual hardware is being
put into promiscuous mode.  There ought to be a red led on the nic for
this!  Don't I wish...

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
R. J. Brown III  rj@xxxxxxxxxxx http://www.elilabs.com/~rj  voice 859 567-7311