Re: tcpdump broken after rh9 2.4.20-27.9 kernel upgrade

Harry Hoffman writes:
 > Robert,
 >
 > Hmm, can you provide your tcp filter? Also, are you sure you're listening on the
 > right interface (sorry, I know it's a stupid question). Perhaps something in the
 > upgrade of the kernel caused the interfaces to be changed...? (really streching
 > on that one).

You know, I had that nagging thought myself -- that the interfaces got
detected in a different order.  But I have 3 NICs in this box, and
only one of them has an assigned IP address, so it can communicate on
the LAN.  The other 2 NICs are anonymous and used only for sniffing
thru a read-only cable adapter.  Since the box can communicate on the
LAN, I know that at leats the LAN's NIC is still the same, and I
cannot see packets unless they have the LAN NIC's IP address as src or
dst, or they are broadcast packets.

The filter is real easy.  I just did:

  # tcpdump -n -i eth0

which should not cause too many packets to be filtered out.  ;-)

 > One thing to do to check if it's a filter problem would be to sniff for ARP, as
 > these packets should be broadcast to every port on a switch or hub
 > tcpdump -i <ethX> -ln arp
 > Although, you do state that you are seeing broadcast packets.

Yes, specifically I do see arp requests and responses.

 > Do you have another *nix box that you can throw in place to ensure it's not
 > network related?

Yes, and I have similar symptoms on other boxes, although the only
other multi-homed boxes are the firewalls.  I see the problem even
when I run the above tcpdump cammand line from my worksation.

I think promiscuous mode is broken.  I can set it with ifconfig, and
ifconfig reports that it is set, but I do not think it is working
anymore, not since the upgrade to the 2.4.20-27.9 kernel.

How, other than by sniffing with tcpdump, can I verify this?