Re: tcpdump broken after rh9 2.4.20-27.9 kernel upgrade

Robert,

Hmm, can you provide your tcp filter? Also, are you sure you're listening on the
right interface (sorry, I know it's a stupid question). Perhaps something in the
upgrade of the kernel caused the interfaces to be changed...? (really streching
on that one).

One thing to do to check if it's a filter problem would be to sniff for ARP, as
these packets should be broadcast to every port on a switch or hub
tcpdump -i <ethX> -ln arp
Although, you do state that you are seeing broadcast packets.

Do you have another *nix box that you can throw in place to ensure it's not
network related?

HTH,
Harry

Quoting Robert Brown <eli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

*> OK, then back to my original question: any ideas why tcpdump is not
*> working when an interface is in promiscuous mode?  It seems to capture
*> packets with the interface's own ip address as either src or dst, and
*> also broadcast packets, but it misses other packets.  The network
*> hardware setup is unchanged from before the 2.4.20-27.9 kernel was
*> installed, when tcpdump was working fine.  I am using 2 nics, one on
*> my lan with a 192.168.1.* ip address, one on my dmz with no assigned
*> ip address, and one on my wild zone where the bridge to the internet
*> is.  The lan and dmz are 10/100baseT hubs, and the wild is a 10baseT
*> half-duplex hub.  The nics are nailed up appropriately in my
*> /etc/modules.conf file thusly:
*>
*>     alias eth0 8139too
*>     alias eth1 8139too
*>     alias eth2 8139too
*>     options 8139too 0x100,0x100,0x10
*>
*> The use of hubs and half-duplex rather than switches and full-duplex
*> is required for the NIDS to see all the packets.
*>
*> --
*> --------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]
*> --------
*> R. J. Brown III  rj@xxxxxxxxxxx http://www.elilabs.com/~rj  voice 859
*> 567-7311
*> Elijah Laboratories Inc.    P. O. Box 166, Warsaw KY 41095    fax 859
*> 567-7311
*> -----  M o d e l i n g   t h e   M e t h o d s   o f   t h e   M i n d
*> ------
*>
*>
*> --
*> redhat-list mailing list
*> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe
*>

--
Harry Hoffman
hhoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

# Harry: version 4.0a                                            #
# Known bugs:                                                    #
# 1) Verbal output may occur before data processing is complete. #
# 2) Loudspeaker option may activate without being invoked.      #
# 3) Other bugs as reported                                      #