Re: tcpdump broken after rh9 2.4.20-27.9 kernel upgrade

Harry Hoffman writes:
 > Wait a sec. You are seeing this same behavior on other boxes? Are they all the
 > same setup? (i.e. RH9->with newest kernel).

Same kernel on all boxes: 2.4.20-27.9, as of 12/23/03 or 12/24/03, I
forget which.

Since it is now officially the week between Christmas and New Years, I
have the firewall only doing masquerading, so the servers are not
visible from the internet.  Its a good time to fool around with the
network.  From that perspective, this couldn't have happened at a
better time.

Also, I have the flu, which makes it harder to think than usual.  So
wash your hands thoroughly after reading this email.  ;-(

 > If the machines are different, in regards to os/patch level, then that would
 > seem to indicate that the software isn't the issue.

No, they are the same, and promiscuous mode worked on all of them
before, and now it doesn't.

 > Don't know if this pertains to your situtation but it may prove useful:
 > http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200302/msg00247.html

So what is your point?  All that I got from that url was that some guy
was having trouble using promiscuous mode on a windoze box.
Coincidently, he was using a very similar hub to the ones I am using
in the 100baseT legs of my network, the difference being he was using
the 5 port model, whereas I am using the 8 port version.  However, I
am still using the same 10baseT hub I have used for about 5 years for
the wild side of my network -- where the bridge to the internet is
located -- and I can't sniff that either.

 > In terms of the nic settings are they reporting the correct duplex (even though
 > you've set it it may not be taking...perhaps changes to the new modules?)
 > What does mii-tool/ethtool report?

Very interesting!

    [root@jonah root]# ethtool eth0
    Settings for eth0:
	    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
	    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	    Speed: 100Mb/s
	    Duplex: Full
	    Port: MII
	    PHYAD: 32
	    Transceiver: internal
	    Auto-negotiation: on
	    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	    Wake-on: d
	    Current message level: 0xffffffff (-1)
	    Link detected: yes
    [root@jonah root]#

Why does it say "Duplex: Full"?  I forced it to half in
/etc/modules.conf:

    alias eth0 8139too
    alias eth1 8139too
    alias eth2 8139too
    options 8139too 0x100,0x100,0x10

I guess I can manually override this using ethtool:

    [root@jonah root]# ethtool -s eth0 duplex half
    [root@jonah root]# ethtool eth0
    Settings for eth0:
	    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
	    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	    Speed: 100Mb/s
	    Duplex: Full
	    Port: MII
	    PHYAD: 32
	    Transceiver: internal
	    Auto-negotiation: on
	    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	    Wake-on: d
	    Current message level: 0xffffffff (-1)
	    Link detected: yes
    [root@jonah root]#

Nope!  That doesn't work.  :-(

Try turning off autonegotiation first.  Good!  Now I can get it to
stay in half duplex.

    Settings for eth0:
	    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
	    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Advertised auto-negotiation: No
	    Speed: 100Mb/s
	    Duplex: Half
	    Port: MII
	    PHYAD: 32
	    Transceiver: internal
	    Auto-negotiation: off
	    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	    Wake-on: d
	    Current message level: 0xffffffff (-1)
	    Link detected: yes

I guess I will have to script ethtool calls into /etc/rc.d/rc.local to
force these NICs to behave the way I want them to.  Here is the way
the NICs look right now:

    [root@jonah root]# for i in 0 1 2 ; do ethtool eth$i ; done
    Settings for eth0:
	    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
	    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Advertised auto-negotiation: No
	    Speed: 100Mb/s
	    Duplex: Half
	    Port: MII
	    PHYAD: 32
	    Transceiver: internal
	    Auto-negotiation: off
	    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	    Wake-on: d
	    Current message level: 0xffffffff (-1)
	    Link detected: yes
    Settings for eth1:
	    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
	    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	    Speed: 100Mb/s
	    Duplex: Full
	    Port: MII
	    PHYAD: 32
	    Transceiver: internal
	    Auto-negotiation: on
	    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	    Wake-on: d
	    Current message level: 0xffffffff (-1)
	    Link detected: yes
    Settings for eth2:
	    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
	    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
				    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	    Speed: 10Mb/s
	    Duplex: Half
	    Port: MII
	    PHYAD: 32
	    Transceiver: internal
	    Auto-negotiation: on
	    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	    Wake-on: d
	    Current message level: 0xffffffff (-1)
	    Link detected: no
    [root@jonah root]#

Unfortunately, ethtool does not show anything regarding promiscuous
mode setting.

And even after forcing the NIC into half duplex mode, it still doesn't
see any packets not addressed to itself or broadcast.

 > Are the cards all the same? Are they plugged into different hubs (you've
 > probably already answered this, sorry)?

>From /etc/sysconfig/hwconf to the best of kudzu's knowledge:

    -
    class: NETWORK
    bus: PCI
    detached: 0
    device: eth
    driver: 8139too
    desc: "Realtek|RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+"
    vendorId: 10ec
    deviceId: 8139
    subVendorId: 1799
    subDeviceId: 5000
    pciType: 1
    -
    class: NETWORK
    bus: PCI
    detached: 0
    device: eth
    driver: 8139too
    desc: "D-Link System Inc|RTL8139 Ethernet"
    vendorId: 1186
    deviceId: 1300
    subVendorId: 1186
    subDeviceId: 1301
    pciType: 1
    -
    class: NETWORK
    bus: PCI
    detached: 0
    device: eth
    driver: 8139too
    desc: "Realtek|RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+"
    vendorId: 10ec
    deviceId: 8139
    subVendorId: 1799
    subDeviceId: 5000
    pciType: 1
    -

Each NIC is plugged into a different hub.  eth0 is the addressable
one; it is on the LAN.  eth1 is on the DMZ, and eth2 is on the WILD.

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
R. J. Brown III  rj@xxxxxxxxxxx http://www.elilabs.com/~rj  voice 859 567-7311