Re: looking for comments/reactions to the fedora project

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 17:52, Brent wrote:

> > At this time, RHPW or RHWS is still in the lead for server
> > installations.  The only thing holding me back from making a formal
> > recommendation to my existing "community"-based clients is RH's
> > indecisions regarding the future of RHPW.
>
> I'm under the impression that the only remaining question is what
> happens at the end of RHPW's 1 year license...

And that's exactly what I'm referring to, sorry for the vagueness.

> Here's my amateur speculation:

Therein lies the problem, I can't invest in speculation, and many of my
clients running RH 7.x-9 are quickly approach EOL.

> Therefore, RHPW should also have a 5 year lifecycle... so there will be
> 2 scenarios:
> 1) Red Hat allows you to renew RHPW at some dollar value.... (maybe 60
> bucks???)
> 2) You have to buy another boxed product in 1 year, and re-register your
> system to continue up2date service. (current price is 88 bucks at
> buy.com)
>
> Either of those are pretty darn simple (and relatively cheap for an OS
> of this caliber)....

Honestly, the problem is that I'm unsure whether RH will still offer
RHPW a year from now.  They seem to be shooting from the hip, unaware
what the next year might bring.

> You might argue, "but I have several hundred systems... I don't want to
> re-register...."  That's fine....  If you have several hundred systems,
> why aren't you talking to your RH sales dude to get a break on the cost
> of RHEL3 ES?

Because I don't have clients with several hundred systems.  I have
clients with different needs and concerns.  In order to serve them best,
I need to be wholly familiar with my vendor's product offerings.  If
RHPW wasn't an option, I'd tell them all to use RHWS/ES (depending on
server needs).

Look, I'm not asking for anyone's input on this matter.  As others will
attest, this horse has been beaten many times over.  But a couple of
people asked for my opinion, so I felt obliged to report what I'd
experienced.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting