Re: looking for comments/reactions to the fedora project

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 18:23, Jason Dixon wrote:

> Honestly, the problem is that I'm unsure whether RH will still offer
> RHPW a year from now.  They seem to be shooting from the hip, unaware
> what the next year might bring.

Red Hat has offered their OS in the retail channel for years now.  I
think the fact that RHPW is offered only strengthens the commitment to
the retail channel.

> Because I don't have clients with several hundred systems.  I have
> clients with different needs and concerns.  In order to serve them best,
> I need to be wholly familiar with my vendor's product offerings.  If
> RHPW wasn't an option, I'd tell them all to use RHWS/ES (depending on
> server needs).

I know you aren't seeking input, but I thought of 2 more ideas, and
don't want them to go to waste... :)
1) YOU subscribe to RHN on behalf of your clients... that way you get
the bulk discount (starts with as few as 5 machines, I think)
2) Since RHPW=RHEL3WS you are at the very least buying your clients 1
more year to decide what their move should be.  The migration is pretty
simple (compared to moving to another distro, that is).  I upgraded one
of my clients from 8.0 to RHEL3 ES over the wire using up2date....
Rebooted to the new kernel, and they were now running the new OS.  They
had about 3 minutes of downtime.

People are complaining about the churn that Red Hat is causing, but, at
least in my opinion, even with the latest changes, they are still more
consistent, and more predictable than other distros... including SuSe.
This shift is going to allow them to improve on that position.

--
Brent Langston <brentley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
GPG ID: 1024D/09D551AC