Re: looking for comments/reactions to the fedora project

> At this time, RHPW or RHWS is still in the lead for server
> installations.  The only thing holding me back from making a formal
> recommendation to my existing "community"-based clients is RH's
> indecisions regarding the future of RHPW.

I'm under the impression that the only remaining question is what
happens at the end of RHPW's 1 year license...

Here's my amateur speculation:

RHPW=RHEL3 WS
RHEL3 WS has a 5 year lifecycle.

Therefore, RHPW should also have a 5 year lifecycle... so there will be
2 scenarios:
1) Red Hat allows you to renew RHPW at some dollar value.... (maybe 60
bucks???)
2) You have to buy another boxed product in 1 year, and re-register your
system to continue up2date service. (current price is 88 bucks at
buy.com)

Either of those are pretty darn simple (and relatively cheap for an OS
of this caliber)....

You might argue, "but I have several hundred systems... I don't want to
re-register...."  That's fine....  If you have several hundred systems,
why aren't you talking to your RH sales dude to get a break on the cost
of RHEL3 ES?

********************

Now... if you prefer cutting edge technology, then Fedora is probably
for you... there are 3 parts to Fedora:

Fedora Core
Fedora Extras
Fedora Legacy

Fedora Core is most akin to what would have been Red Hat 10.  Instead of
defining stable vs unstable, I'll just say it's as stable as RH9.  If
that worked for you, then cool.

Fedora Extras is a pipeline whereby anyone in the community can submit
software and distribute it to the community that is interested in that
sort of stuff.... If you want to maintain stability, then you probably
don't want to pay attention to this channel.

Fedora Legacy is a channel where members of the community will continue
to maintain packages after Red Hat has stopped supporting them... if
you've been wanting RH9's lifecycle to be 5 years, you might be
interested in this channel...

I hope this helps the decision making process....