RE: looking for comments/reactions to the fedora project

Your previous Post was in reply to someone who had asked you about your
experience with Debian or a BDS derivitive as a replacement for RH.  The
user was obviously talking about replacing the free RH(8 or 9).  My
entire post addressed the issue of trying to replace RH8 or 9 with
something like Debian or FreeBSD and what won't be gained.  I tried to
address the person you were replying to with more information about
their main reason for complaining about Fedora (updates).

Most people taking issue with Fedora on this list never actually had
anything other than RH8 or 9.  They weren't using Enterprise; this
noticeable from the talks of affordability.  Enterprise and Advanced RH
has cost money for a while now.  So, I was attempting to clarify that if
users are using RH8 or RH9 and they only have a RHN account for updates
they shouldn't be worrying about Fedora as a replacement to those
particular versions.  They are actually getting off better.  Then
explaining the difference between a Debian or FreeBSD vs Fedora
pertaining to backing and direction with corporate backing being key.

It wasn't a rant, but an attempt to clarify where so many apparently
don't understand the differences between RH8/9, Fedora, and the
Enterprise offerings.  Most questions on this topic seem more related to
someone attempting to replace RH with another distro because they were
previously using 8 or 9 and now they have Fedora, and some how they feel
they are being jipped.  The differences in those models shouldn't be an
issue.  The price they are paying for the updates to those versions vs
what they get with Fedora and will get from the new model favor Fedora
to be superior.  Enterprise vs. Fedora = two different ball games.  That
was the point.  RH 8 and 9 have always been the testing ground.

Wade