Re: Apache Virtual Server Settings and SSL Certificate Issue

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 12:49:32PM -0600, Brett Franck wrote:

[ssl not allowed on NamedVirtualHost snipped]

> After much searching I have found that you may be correct.  I'm not sure how
> to do that considering I am behind a NAT router forwarding port 80 and 443
> requests to a single host IP address.....maybe it cannot be done?

It can't be done.  The ssl key is specific to the virtual host.  The
name of the virtual you're trying to access is encrypted, so you're
caught in a catch-22 with named virtual host.  You can't decrypt the
data to see which host you want to connect to unless you know which key
to use, and you don't know which key until you know the virtual host
name.

What I do at home is to have only one ssl'd virtual host name (my own,
so I can read my mail remotely).  The rest are out of luck.  Heck, I'm a
small-time server for a couple of non-profits - I'm not a major web
hosting company.

You could, of course, set up different ports.  Nobody says you have to
use 443 for ssl connections.  I haven't tried it though.
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx