Re: looking for comments/reactions to the fedora project

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 16:18, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> [...]

Well, my thoughts so far:

- Debian based distributions, while fun to tinker with, are not a good
server solution (IMO).  The apt-get package manager, while enjoyable,
also is apt (excuse the pun) to get out of hand at times.  And
Debian/Libranet's strength (tons of software) is also its weakness in
the server room... too much choice.  It's nice having a distro that's
been "professionally" pared down for non-hobbyist/non-desktop usage.

- FreeBSD.  I'm a big proponent of all things *BSD, but this also falls
short in terms of patch management.  While it's not a big deal for your
average SysAdmin to patch from source, it's not an enviable task to
automate.  And "build world" is not something your average server farm
is going to place faith in.

- RHPW.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of this to play with.  While
I appreciate Ed Wilt's rpm package listing, I note that some of it
includes post-install stuff (mysql, for example), so it's hard for me to
get a real glimpse of what RH is offering with this product.  I still
think RH is head-and-shoulders above the competitors for non-hobbyist
offerings, it's just going to take some time to get used to their
changes.

At this time, RHPW or RHWS is still in the lead for server
installations.  The only thing holding me back from making a formal
recommendation to my existing "community"-based clients is RH's
indecisions regarding the future of RHPW.

*** Please note, the opinions given above are just that... my opinions.
I'm not an expert with Debian, so please withhold flames.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting