Re: looking for comments/reactions to the fedora project

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 14:34, David C. Hart wrote:
> Just my imperfect 2 cents. With respect to other distributions, nothing
> seems to have the support structure or (in this case) presumptive
> support structure of Redhat or Fedora.
>
> My only concern at this point is the NPTL kernel which seems to be brute
> forced into compilation. My intentions are to convert to the Fedora
> release with the KORG 2.4.22 kernel, eventually migrating to 2.6 until
> the NPTL kernel du jour can be cleanly compiled.

i too am now wondering where to go for folk like NGOs.  they are
lockstep with windoze unless some enthusiast like me sets up for them,
they have no $ or time or knowhow to fuss with stuff that crashes or
hangs everyday.

which rules out rh9 already.  i'm getting hangs in various threaded apps
multiple times a day.  probably ntpl tho i don't really know why, and
surprisingly neither this list nor redhat bugzilla has elicited any
helpful response.  and with this experience, looking forward to fedora
seems the wrong direction for those who want a little stability.

i'm tempted to step back to 7.3, but i can't see running on broadband
these days without security updates.  do i correctly interpret rumors
that the equivalent of security updates for 7.3 might be available
through fedora legacy?  a busy NGO office wants to go on more than
rumors.

perhaps i need to educate myself on debian or knoppix or something?  i
can't be the only one who's trying to do the Right Thing for their NGO
friends.  anyone with similar interests care to share their thoughts?

-greg