Re: Fwd: RAID6 Array crash during reshape.....now will not re-assemble.

Can you post the output of mdadm -E /dev/sd?1 for all your drives?
And did you pull down the latest version of mdadm from neil's repo and
build it and use that to undo the re-shape?

John

Another> I have no clue, they were used in a temporary system for 10 days about
Another> 8 months ago, they were then used in the new array that was built back
Another> in August.

Another> Even if the metadata was removed from those two drives the 'merge'
Another> that happened, without warning or requiring verification, seems to now
Another> have 'contaminated' all the drives possibly.

Another> I'm still reasonably convinced the data is there and intact, just need
Another> an analytical approach to how to recover it.

Another> On 4 March 2016 at 21:02, Alireza Haghdoost <alireza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Another Sillyname
>> <anothersname@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> That's possibly true, however there are lessons to be learnt here even
>>> if my array is not recoverable.
>>>
>>> I don't know the process order of doing a reshape....but I would
>>> suspect it's something along the lines of.
>>>
>>> Examine existing array.
>>> Confirm command can be run against existing array configuration (i.e.
>>> It's a valid command for this array setup).
>>> Do backup file (if specified)
>>> Set reshape flag high
>>> Start reshape
>>>
>>> I would suggest....
>>>
>>> There needs to be another step in the process
>>>
>>> Before 'Set reshape flag high' that the backup file needs to be
>>> checked for consistency.
>>>
>>> My backup file appears to be just full of EOLs (now for all I know the
>>> backup file actually gets 'created' during the process and therefore
>>> starts out as EOLs).  But once the flag is set high you are then
>>> committing the array before you know if the backup is good.
>>>
>>> Also
>>>
>>> The drives in this array had been working correctly for 6 months and
>>> undergone a number of reboots.
>>>
>>> If, as we are theorising, there was some metadata from a previous
>>> array setup on two of the drives that as a result of the reshape
>>> somehow became the 'valid' metadata regarding those two drives RAID
>>> status then I would suggest that during any mdadm raid create process
>>> there is an extensive and thorough check of any drives being used to
>>> identify and remove any possible previously existing RAID metadata
>>> information...thus making the drives 'clean'.

>> Do you know the metadata version that is used on those two drives ?
>> For example, if the version is < 1.0 then we could easily erase the
>> old metadata since it has been recorded in the end of the drive. Newer
>> metada versions after 1.0 are stored in the beginning of the drive.
>>
>> Therefore, there is no risk to erase your current array metadata !
Another> --
Another> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
Another> the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Another> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html