Re: Fwd: RAID6 Array crash during reshape.....now will not re-assemble.

That's possibly true, however there are lessons to be learnt here even
if my array is not recoverable.

I don't know the process order of doing a reshape....but I would
suspect it's something along the lines of.

Examine existing array.
Confirm command can be run against existing array configuration (i.e.
It's a valid command for this array setup).
Do backup file (if specified)
Set reshape flag high
Start reshape

I would suggest....

There needs to be another step in the process

Before 'Set reshape flag high' that the backup file needs to be
checked for consistency.

My backup file appears to be just full of EOLs (now for all I know the
backup file actually gets 'created' during the process and therefore
starts out as EOLs).  But once the flag is set high you are then
committing the array before you know if the backup is good.

Also

The drives in this array had been working correctly for 6 months and
undergone a number of reboots.

If, as we are theorising, there was some metadata from a previous
array setup on two of the drives that as a result of the reshape
somehow became the 'valid' metadata regarding those two drives RAID
status then I would suggest that during any mdadm raid create process
there is an extensive and thorough check of any drives being used to
identify and remove any possible previously existing RAID metadata
information...thus making the drives 'clean'.